Public Works Superintendent
Under the direction of the City Administrator, this is an hourly, non-exempt, full-time position under the Federal Labor Standards Act which performs some administrative duties and manual labor for streets, sewer, parks, pool, and water. This position is responsible for assisting in the preparation of the annual department budgets, planning, directing, and organizing, and evaluating the street, sewer, water, municipal pool, and parks maintenance and repair activities. This employee enforces department safety policies and procedures, and should possess excellent communication, organizational, supervisory, technical and public relations skills.
1. Responsible for developing and maintaining a priority listing of work to be completed by the department.
2. Ensures department employees are trained in the skills required to accomplish assigned tasks.
3. Responsible for establishing a schedule for maintenance of streets, sewer, and water systems.
4. Reviews, supervises, coordinates, and inspects Public Works projects, recommending approval when work is completed.
5. Prepares reports and correspondence.
6. Fields questions, concerns, and complaints from the general public.
7. Responds to emergency situations.
8. Supervises department personnel.
9. Purchases equipment and supplies for the department.
10. Enforces department policies and procedures.
11. Enforces safety procedures and practices, and serves as safety coordinator for the department.
12. Operate city equipment including trucks, backhoe, Street sweeper and other city equipment.
13. Repair potholes in streets and do minor street repair.
14. Repair and install street and traffic signs.
15. Read and record water meter readings.
16. Repair and install Water and sewer lines.
17. Maintain and repair sewer plant.
18. Install and remove water meters.
19. Prepare municipal pool for opening and closing.
20. Remove fallen trees or other debris from streets as needed and assist in cleaning park.
21. Maintain city equipment as needed.
22. Operate mowers as needed.
23. Spray for weeds and mosquitoes as needed.
24. Be available for rotating on-call weekends and emergencies after normal work hours (including weekends).
1. Remove snow and ice during inclement weather.
2. Perform repairs on buildings and facilities.
3. Assist other departments as needed.
4. Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Public Works Superintendent
Experience: Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months to one year of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED and a technical degree or some college credit in a related field is required. This position requires a valid Kansas Driver’s License, Class II Water License, Class II Wastewater license, and a Pesticide License(or ability to get Licenses within six months to one year of employment).
Technical Skills: A thorough knowledge of street maintenance and repair techniques, safety procedures, construction techniques, sewer and water line installation and maintenance, and a working knowledge of computers and mathematics are required. This employee must be able to operate computers, department vehicles, hand tools, trucks, backhoes, loaders, air hammers, air compressors and other departmental equipment. The ability to understand and anticipate problems, to develop and enforce department safety policies and procedures, to prepare reports and budgets, and to interpret written instructions, maps, schematics, blueprints, reports, and manuals is required. This employee should possess excellent public relation, supervisory, organizational, technical, oral and written communication skills. The ability to work in a team setting is required.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is involved in this position. This employee encounters problems with personnel issues, citizen complaints, equipment malfunctions, and project delays.
Decision Making: Independent decision making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about resolving citizen complaints and personnel issues, prioritizing department activities and goals, and performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works under the direction of the City Administrator. This employee exercises frequent supervision over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for department resources and equipment. This employee does have the authority to purchase necessary departmental equipment and supplies. This employee does participate in the annual budget process.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, city employees, subordinate personnel, supervisory personnel, and frequent contact with the governing body is expected.
Working Conditions: Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to heavy machinery, excessive noise, hazardous chemicals, heights, work in confined areas, and all types of weather conditions is expected.
Physical Requirements: Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, climbing and the ability to operate heavy machinery is required daily in this position.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Applications are available online or at City Hall.
Job Type: Full-time