At the City of Lenexa, Kansas our employees are dedicated to the City’s core values – integrity, service, teamwork, dedication, vision and caring. We all chip in and roll up our sleeves to deliver exceptional customer service. You’ll have the opportunity to work on exciting projects that impact and support the community we serve.
We are currently accepting applications for an Assistant Parks and Recreation Director who is adaptable, solution-oriented, and has exceptional leadership skills to join our team.
This is a highly responsible managerial and supervisory position with line supervision over the Recreation and Parks divisions. Reports to and assists the department director in leading all activities in the Parks and Recreation Department. Performs managerial duties including conducting performance reviews, recommending merit increases, hiring, promoting and counseling of Department personnel.
- Directly supervises the Parks Superintendent, Recreation Superintendents, Recreation Center Manager, and Senior Administrative Assistant.
- Assists and participates in the recruiting, selecting, assigning, training, supervising and evaluating the work of all full-time and part-time employees of the Department and recommends merit increases.
- Evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of Department service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems; internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs implementation of changes.
- Responsible for coordination with City’s communications team for all marketing, outreach, and communication needs.
- Aids in developing departmental policy; and interpreting, enforcing and coordinating the policy execution. Manages the preparation of reports, manuals, research, surveys etc.
- Takes, investigates and recommends action on patron questions and complaints dealing with the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Responsible for assisting with development and management of Department Capital Improvement Projects.
- Travels to meetings, training, and events.
- Serves as Acting Director in his/her short-term absence.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
Additional Examples of Work Performed
- Works closely with community volunteers in producing City-sponsored special events; works with professional contractors on Parks & Recreation related projects and programs; supervises the preparation of records, special reports.
- Aids in the administration and oversight of the maintenance of all City park land, all public land (such as medians and public buildings) and recreation facilities; including the purchase, inventory and maintenance of all equipment necessary to perform these activities.
- Manages the administration and oversight of the recreation programs and special events. Responsible for with the coordination of the Department’s marketing materials, website and other media channels to improve communication to the community.
- As needed, confers with civic and volunteer groups and individual residents regarding Parks and Recreation activities.
- Supervises and participates in a variety of informational activities in order to maintain a constructive relationship with other municipal, voluntary and community organizations.
- Aids in the preparation and administration of the Department budget, payment of Department expenditures and the accounting of revenues received by the Department. Assists in identifying sources of revenues, prepares grant applications and fundraising opportunities.
- As needed, attends meetings of the Lenexa Parks and Recreation Board, Lenexa Arts Council, Lenexa Governing Body and community service groups as it pertains to issues of the Department and the overall mission of the City of Lenexa.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in parks & recreation administration, public administration or a related field and five years of experience in municipal parks and recreation administration. A graduate degree in parks and recreation management, public administration or related field may substitute for two years work experience; Valid driver’s license.
Desired: A minimum of four years’ supervisory experience.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range is $84,195 to $102,930 DOQ and directly related experience.
In addition to competitive pay, a full-time career with the City of Lenexa comes with a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, a robust health and wellness program, up to $25,000 in tuition reimbursement, excellent retirement plans, an on-site health clinic, flexible scheduling and a culture that promotes teamwork and work-life balance.
Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check, drug screen, physical and a credit check.
To apply please continue and complete an online application. Must include a resume and cover letter. For best consideration apply immediately as the first application review will begin on February 5,2021.
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Lenexa strives to treat all employees fairly, with consistency and respect, while providing a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment. We value and encourage diversity in our workplace.