The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for the enforcement of the City of Spring Hill’s municipal codes and ordinances related to property maintenance, public nuisances, zoning, public health and environment.
- Conducts investigations and inspections of private commercial and residential properties, and vacant lots to determine the nature and scope of environmental and housing issues; researches, compiles and submits detailed written reports, makes recommendations on investigations, and designs and implements plan of action to completely utilize the legal system to abate the code violations.
- Researches and investigates property ownership through public records, including recorder of deeds, probate cases, death certificates, legal descriptions/boundaries and corporate records; identifies responsible party when owned by a business entity to delineate fiscal responsibility relationships of property owners; utilizes skip-tracing techniques to obtain personal identifiers and locate property owners issuing summonses for court prosecution; interprets investigative findings with regard to applicable ordinances; orders corrective measures to be taken; performs extensive research to determine most culpable party in regard to property owners, occupants, Partnerships, Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Limited Liability Partnerships, etc., and must also obtain personal identifiers to pursue various legal avenues.
- Testifies in Municipal Court and administrative hearings on City’s behalf regarding Property Maintenance Code and Nuisance Code enforcement cases.
- Responds to emergency situations, such as properties lacking essential services, unsanitary and unsafe conditions and other conditions that may pose a hazard to the public, i.e., fires and floods, by posting the structures with an order requiring immediate vacation of the property; issuing emergency orders requiring short turnaround to abate emergency situations; obtaining search warrants from Municipal Court Judge; and/or providing guidance for cleanup and disposal of contaminated foods or beverages.
- Enters, updates and maintains accurate and complete department files on code violations in appropriate electronic and paper filing systems.
- Manages and enforces the City Right-of-Way Permit program
- Manages and enforces city ordinances related to erosion control and storm water best management practices
- Assists with conducting variety of building permit inspections, such as; driveway, sidewalk, water and sewer line installation, fence, etc.
- Assists Public Works with snow removal
Duties, responsibilities, scheduling, shift assignments and work location, may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Certified by ICC in International Property Maintenance Code or able to obtain within one year of employment is required.
- Class A CDL or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment is required.
- Driving Requirements: Must have and maintain a current valid driver’s license.
- This position requires one year of work experience involving a high level of public contact including some experience dealing with the public in an enforcement, inspection, investigation, or customer service capacity. Working knowledge of GIS preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Independently performs a full range of municipal code enforcement and compliance duties; interprets and applies applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations related to zoning, nuisance abatement, and health and safety issues; inspects and identifies violations of applicable codes and ordinances; enforces pertinent codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations with impartiality and efficiency; respond to inquiries, complaints, and requests for service in a fair, tactful, and firm manner; investigates complaints and mediates resolutions in a timely and tactful manner; prepares accurate and detailed documentation of investigation finding; maintains complex logs, records, and files. Utilizes GIS.
Salary range is $24.73 to $33.39 for Code Enforcement Officer, dependent on qualifications. Position open until filled. The City of Spring Hill offers excellent, comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as paid leave and KPERS retirement.
Complete our online application and upload your cover letter and resume via our website at www.springhillks.gov
Paper applications printed from https://www.springhillks.gov/DocumentCenter/View/678/Employment-Application?bidId= .
Send completed application, cover letter, and resume to: