The Building Official responsible for enforcing city codes by inspecting buildings, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems of construction projects and existing structures within the City of Spring Hill. This position should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, and effective organizational, public relation, and communication skills.
- Oversees and follows the City’s adopted codes inspection and permit issuance programs.
- Serves as City flood plain manager.
- Participate in City Emergency Operations Plan as assigned and/or designated.
- Serves as plans examiner for all building permit applications.
- Determine, develop and oversee the administration of the City’s building permit process including associated fee schedules.
- Provides information to contractors, developers, homeowners and the general public.
- Prepares and maintains staff work log tracking inspection activity.
- Continually monitor local, city, county, state, national and international building and construction codes to determine the need to create, change or remove building and construction codes for the City.
- Interpret code requirements as requested by City staff, Governing Body, fire department, residents, contractors and the general public.
- Supervise inspectors to ensure building and construction inspections are scheduled and completed in accordance with department policy and procedure.
- Inspect non-routine and specialty building and construction projects.
- Ensure the ongoing training and education of inspectors.
- Report activities of staff to Community Development Director.
Duties, responsibilities, scheduling, shift assignments and work location, may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- ICC Certification for Commercial Building Inspector
- ICC Certification for Combination Inspector
- Driving Requirements: Must have and maintain a current valid driver’s license
- This position requires five years of similar or related experience
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A thorough knowledge of building inspections, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems, federal and state building regulations and codes is required. This employee must be able to operate computers, department vehicles, electrical testing equipment, copiers, and other office equipment. The ability to interpret building codes and regulations, to prepare reports, to understand and anticipate problems, and to understand written instructions, reports, proposals, specifications, blueprints, schematics, and code books is required. This employee should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, and effective public relations, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
Salary range is $30.80 to $41.58 for Building Official, dependent on qualifications. Position open until filled. The City of Spring Hill offers excellent, comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as paid leave and KPERS retirement.
Complete our online application and upload your cover letter and resume via our website at www.springhillks.gov
Paper applications printed from https://www.springhillks.gov/DocumentCenter/View/678/Employment-Application?bidId= .
Send completed application, cover letter, and resume to:Human Resources
City of Spring Hill
401 N. Madison St.
P.O. Box 424
Spring Hill, KS 66083
[Register to View] [Register to View]