The Accountant is responsible for preparing and conducting a variety of professional accounting and auditing duties to determine or maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities; prepares factual and analytical statements and reports; analyzes and evaluates financial records; applies broad knowledge of accounting systems, programs and principles to facilitate fiscal control and analysis.
- Provides guidance and answers questions on various financial and budgetary functions such as accounts payable, payroll, petty cash accounts, investments and daily cash balancing
- Provides information to other departments regarding accounting matters, budgets, project accounting and general accounting matters
- Reviews account payable payment requests for proper account distribution and correctness prior to approval for payment
- Reviews and reconciles general ledger asset and liability accounts as necessary to ensure accurate financial presentation
- Prepares monthly sales tax returns for the City.
- Prepares monthly reports of revenue and expenses and responds to related inquiries
- Reviews advance travel and travel reimbursement requests, ensures adequate funding and account distribution, approves for payment.
- Processes payments received by the city for miscellaneous items and ensures the revenue is recorded accurately.
- Prepares manual and computerized ledger entries, original entries, accrual entries, reconciliations, trial balances, and other fiscal record keeping work
- Prepares complex audit work papers for internal and external auditors. Assists auditors with the review of the city financial records
- Examines and analyzes fiscal documents to ensure adherence to established internal controls
- Examines and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards
- Assists with preparation of a variety of complex accounting, statistical and/or narrative financial statements
- Develops, modifies, implements, and maintains an automated financial tracking and recordkeeping system to improve efficiency of the accounting unit and to maintain the integrity of the information generated
- Ensures compliance with and stays abreast of state and federal laws
Duties, responsibilities, scheduling, shift assignments and work location, may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Pay, Education & Experience:
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and two years of experience in accounting. Public sector accounting experience is preferred. Final pay dependent on experience and education but position range is $25.51 to $34.43 per hour.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Attention to detail, analytical skills including research skills, ability to interpret data, ability to analyze information; computer software skills to include Microsoft Office 365, Excel, Word, and Outlook; knowledge of payroll processing systems; Human relations and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain confidentiality; time management to include the ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and deadlines.
This position will be open until filled however interviews will begin August 9, 2021. The City of Spring Hill offers excellent, comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as paid leave and KPERS retirement.
Complete our online application and upload your cover letter and resume via our website at www.springhillks.gov
Paper applications printed from https://www.springhillks.gov/DocumentCenter/View/678/Employment-Application?bidId= .
Send completed application, cover letter, and resume to:
City of Spring Hill
401 N. Madison St.
P.O. Box 424
Spring Hill, KS 66083
[Register to View] [Register to View]