This job is archived
We are looking for a Motor Vehicle/Tax Collection Clerk to join our team at Ellis County in the Treasury Department. Serving our communities, collaborating with our teammates, ongoing training and support, and the generous benefits are just a few of the many reasons we love working for Ellis County!
Under the supervision of the County Treasurer, the Clerk performs a variety of complex accounting and clerical tasks. The employee in this position is responsible for titling and registering motor vehicles, verifying information to the state, collecting property tax and/or sales tax on motor vehicles, collecting registration fees, distributing taxes collected, preparing reports, and assisting in collecting delinquent taxes. This employee also handles the payment of all personal property taxes due or owing to the county or state. The Motor Vehicle/Tax Collection Clerk has a considerable amount of contact with the general public, some analytic responsibilities, and the need to be resourceful and adaptable to working a variety of tasks simultaneously. This position exercises a moderate amount of independent judgment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Accounts for monies collected and balances cash drawer;
- Answers the telephone and directs calls to appropriate personnel;
- Assists Tax Collector with duties;
- Assists the public with questions and concerns;
- Assists with motor vehicle inventories;
- Checks and verifies legal documents and other information received for accuracy and completeness;
- Codes vehicles according to class;
- Collects and records payments for real estate, personal property, oil and gas, escape, sales, motor vehicle, escrow, and delinquent taxes;
- Enters and verifies information in the computer;
- Maintains records and files;
- Prepares address changes and forwards to appropriate personnel;
- Prepares billings for taxes;
- Prepares daily reports on receipts collected;
- Prepares documents for escrows, partial payments, and protests;
- Prepares reports, distributions, city reports, lien holder, etc.;
- Processes and verifies payments received by mail or in person;
- Reconciles daily cash receipts;
- Researches problems related to registrations and titles through the state;
- Verifies auto insurance information;
- Researches ownership records and determines ownership tax liabilities;
- Verifies codes for motor vehicles according to class;
- Verifies tax information and proofs materials; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
High School Diploma or GED and two years clerical and computer experience are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of data entry operations and office procedures.
- Knowledge of the Treasury website and its usefulness in assisting the public.
- Skilled in strong mathematics aptitude.
- Knowledge of vehicle state laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of current and previous policies and procedures.
- Skilled in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to learn state and county laws.
- Ability to learn regulations governing motor vehicle registrations and personal property taxes.
- Ability to work with generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to operate a typewriter, calculator, computer, and other related office equipment.
Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Vision Plan, Holiday Pay, Life Insurance, Longevity Bonus, Retirement, Deferred Compensation Plan, Paid Time Off, AFLAC supplemental offerings.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is primarily sedentary and may require the ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Also requires the ability to talk, see, walk and make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive reasoning.
How to Apply:
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled. How to Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply. Submit your Ellis County application online using the application link. Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601