This job is archived
Position Summary: Provides a variety of complex administrative and technical analysis to support decision making and strategic direction. Conducts research and special projects and assures implementation of programs developed and initiated by the City Administrator. In addition, serves as City Clerk and performs professional and administrative work in a variety of City Clerk tasks. Work is performed under minimal supervision. Reports to the City Administrator.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
- Provides administrative and analytical support to the City Administrator and Governing Body. Prepares reports, memoranda, correspondence, and other documents; ensures materials and reports for signature are accurate and complete; proofreads materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with City standards, policies, and procedures.
- Conducts assigned research and analysis; develops recommendations on City Administrator’s Office and City-wide work methods, operating policy, procedures, and other administrative issues; prepares staff reports, answers questions, or arranges for compilation of data to assist in the decision-making process.
- Assists the City Administrator and Finance Officer in developing and compiling the annual budget for the City Council.
- Prepares grant funding applications to local, regional, or national agencies in support of capital improvement priorities or special projects.
- Serves as City Clerk; maintains official City records; prepares and maintains files and records; prepares reports; fulfills word-processing and data-processing duties.
- Serves as City Clerk; prepares Council packets and sets up for Council meetings; prepares items for City Council agenda related to City Clerk functions; attends all Council meetings; takes minutes and records action taken.
- Attends all Planning Commission meetings and takes minutes.
- Maintains official City documents including recording, filing, scanning, archiving and destruction. Maintains contracts, agreements, appointments, proclamations, resolutions, ordinances, and records. Composes and transcribes correspondence for Mayor and governing body.
- Investigates and deals with public questions, concerns, and complaints.
- Works on special projects for Mayor, City Administrator, and Council.
- Prepares items for City Council agenda related to City Clerk functions.
- Responds to requests for information under Open Records and Open Meetings.
- Acts as official keeper of records and documents for the City of De Soto. Retains custody of the official seal.
- Manages employee benefits administration, policy and procedure development, training and development, safety and risk management, including worker’s compensation, employee relations and employee wellness initiatives.
- Oversees and administers compliance with various Federal and State mandated employee benefits including the Affordable Care Act, Family Medical Leave Act, and workers’ compensation, and ensures any related reporting to employees and governmental agencies.
- Performs all other related tasks as required.
Examples of Work (Marginal Functions):
- Reconciles travel reimbursement for Mayor and Council.
- Processes invoices related to Mayor and Council.
- Prepares, updates, and tracks calendar for governing body.
- Assists the public with voter registration.
- Ensures Municipal Code is updated and properly codified.
- Issues drinking establishment and cereal malt beverage, special event licenses or permits, responds to questions regarding the process, and sends renewal notices.
- Assists with recruitment efforts as necessary to include placing advertisements, pre-screening applications, and serving on interview panels.
Abilities, Knowledge, Skills:
- Plan, organize, and carry out a full range of administrative and analytical assignments from the City Administrator with minimal supervision and direction.
- Perform difficult and complex analysis and research on a variety of administrative and technical topics, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, and present administrative and technical information and data in an effective manner.
- Prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive administrative, financial, and technical reports.
- Evaluate and develop improvements in operations, procedures, policies, and methods.
- Identify and respond to sensitive community, organizational, and City Council issues, concerns, and needs.
- Respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Read and interpret complex data, information, and documents.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of staff.
- Recommend and implement goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for providing office administrative and secretarial support functions.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Understand, interpret, explain, and apply applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department heads, City Council, and the general public.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and mathematics; thorough knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government.
- Knowledge of municipal finance practices, Open Meeting and Open Record requirements, and record retention.